ChETEC (Chemical Elements as Tracers of the Evolution of Cosmos) is a COST Action (www.cost.eu
) aiming to increase networking of specialists in nuclear astrophysics, star dynamics, nucleosynthesis and observational astronomy – http://chetec.eu
. Participants are from 29 countries.
of Bucharest-Magurele, Romania will host a ChETEC training school in nuclear astrophysics of 11 days duration, consisting in classes and hands-on activities:
1. In a target laboratory
2. Performing an experiment at the 3 MV TandetronTM
(7 days around the clock)
3. Gamma-ray measurements at the 9 MV tandem and the ROSPHERE array
4. De-activation measurements in a low background underground laboratory "microBequerel" in the Slanic-Prahova salt mine.
Local and invited trainers will lead the participants during the school that will cover most types of activities a physicist engaged in nuclear physics for astrophysics will have to go through, in particular those engaged in direct measurements for nuclear astrophysics.
a. will attend introductory classes
b. will run the experiment round the clock
c. will make the experimental arrangement
d. will collect data
e. will analyze on/offline data (prompt and de-activation gamma-rays).
The activities of this school are particularly related to those afforded in the WG1 (Nuclear data for astrophysics: needs, coordination and dissemination) of the ChETEC COST Action. The intended level is PhD student and early post-doc (up to 8-years after PhD).
We target to have 15 students from abroad and 6 locals.
ChETEC will cover all costs for the approved student participants.
Selection of the candidates will be done in two steps:
1) Registration on this site, providing data on affiliation and a letter of recommendation from an advisor.
2) After a selection by organizers/hosts, the proposed candidacies are submitted to ChETEC for final approval and financing.
School director: Prof. Livius Trache (IFIN-HH)